Frequently Asked Questions
The USSSA All American Program was created in 2015 to increase individual opportunities for fastpitch players to showcase their skills and represent their local area in a National event. The All American Program creates an environment where athletes ages 9U to 14U are evaluated by the top athletes and coaches in softball at our All American Tryouts. Athletes are evaluated based on their individual skill level and athleticism.
Following the All American Tryouts, the top athletes from each region will be selected to represent their Region in the All American Games hosted annually at the USSSA Space Coast Complex in Viera, Florida. At the Games, Regional teams will compete against each other in a fun, competitive environment. The goal of this program is to create a pathway for individual athletes to be evaluated and to earn an opportunity to compete on the national stage in our All American Games.
The tryout portion of the USSSA All American Program is used to identify the top level fastpitch athletes in the 9U-14U age division. All tryouts will allow each athlete equal opportunity to showcase their skills in hitting, throwing, fielding, pitching/catching, and athletic testing. Participants will be evaluated on two positions, primary and secondary.
The All American Fastpitch Program will host tryouts throughout six regions of the country. You can tryout at any location – West, Midwest, South, Southeast, Great Lakes, and Northeast.
- Regions: West, Midwest, South, Southeast, Great Lakes, Northeast
- “Rep Your Region” Regions will be determined by the athlete’s home town.
- Age groups will be strictly determined by birth year. Please visit the following link for the Age Calculator
The USSSA All American staff will consist of current and former professional players from the USSSA Pride, College Coaches, other high level coaches and other professional fastpitch athletes.
- The National staff from USSSA will select the USSSA All American Teams based on the tryout evaluations. There will be no outside influences when evaluating a participant or in selecting the teams. All scores are non-negotiable, the scores that are given by the evaluators will be the scores calculated in the overall evaluation.
- The value of the All American Program resides in the individual athlete experience. Not only will participating athletes interact and engage with professional players, but they will gain experience in performing under the pressure of a tryout setting, something that will help prepare them for the future.
- At the tryout, each athlete will receive a USSSA All American t-shirt, an evaluation of her skills from the tryout listed on each participants USSSA profile, and instruction from the participating professional athletes and/or coaches.
- If chosen for the USSSA All American Team each athlete will earn an opportunity to compete in the All American Games.
- Yes, there will be a $225 fee for the athletes that are selected to play in the USSSA All American Games. This fee helps support the All American Game uniforms that are supplied and coaching staff (All American Teams are coached by current/former college softball players).
- Additionally, each athlete is responsible for getting to Viera, FL, their food, transportation and lodging, etc. during the USSSA All American Games.
Yes, they may attend a tryout outside of their region! They will represent their hometown at the games.
Yes, athletes may participate in multiple tryouts in multiple regions. They will be eligible to make a team in any of the regional tryout locations that they attend. We consider each tryout as an individual event with an individual score. We will not be combining scores from multiple tryout events to create a master score.
By entering the correct birthdate, the participant will automatically be put in the correct age group. For USSSA, age eligibility is determined strictly by birth year. Please visit the following link for the Age Calculator.
- The online registration will close 48 hours prior to the event start time or once it is sold out, whichever comes first (i.e. For a tryout on Sunday that starts at 6:00 PM, the registration will close at 6:00 PM on the Friday before).
- Registration can be done online at a discounted rate ($160) prior to the event or as a walkup at the field ($200). We will only be taking walk-ups if we have not reached our limit on participants.
- The USSSA All American Tryout Director will be sending out an email a few days before the event with all the specific event information.
- Any and all updates will be listed on the event page, so continue to check back frequently.
- We will also post tryout specific information and updates on our @usssafastpitch social media platforms.
- At the conclusion of each tryout, we will be identifying the top performers in each age group to be named as the “Direct Invites” athletes for the USSSA All American Team. Direct Invites will be released once results are posted for that specific tryout event. All “Direct Invite” athletes will earn an automatic invite into the USSSA All American Games.
- All other roster selections will be released after the conclusion of the last tryout for that respective region.
- Rosters will be announced via the All American Selection show aired on USSSALive.com.
- Athletes and parents will not be notified prior to the airing of the Selection Show. Participants will be given 72 hours after the Selection Show to accept a position on one of the regional USSSA All American Teams.
- Yes, the tryout is open to all athletes (9U-14U) however, they will be trying out on an individual basis, not as a whole team.
- Team discounts are available. There must be 8 or more athletes attending from a team to receive the team discount. Please email [email protected] for more details on how to register your team.
- It is important to note that this is a tryout and not a camp. There will be times where the athlete is standing around due to the nature of evaluations.
- We anticipate the tryout to last approximately five hours (including registration), providing there isn’t any weather or field issues. This is an approximation. Depending on numbers at the tryout, it could be shorter or longer. It is important that each athlete gets evaluated fairly, so we will stay until we have completely evaluated every participant.
- Team announcements will be made publicly during our All American Selection Show.
- We will contact each athlete’s parents as well as post the rosters online. *It is imperative you supply completely accurate information when registering your child as well as updating her Guardian Profile so we can contact you about the selection.
- Athletes and parents will not be notified prior to the airing of the Selection Show.
- Participants will be given 72 hours after the Selection Show to accept a position on one of the regional All American Teams.
- We will not announce the American and National teams until a week before the All American Games.
The USSSA All American teams will be coached by current and former collegiate softball athletes, along with other elite level selected coaches.
For the pitching evaluations, we will use a catcher also participating in the tryout to warm up the pitchers. The pitchers and catchers will be evaluated at the same time.
No, there are no prior commitments to the games other than the games itself.